Technical UI Designer
WHAT MAKES US EPIC?
At the core of Epic’s success are talented, passionate people. Epic prides itself on creating a collaborative, welcoming, and creative environment. Whether it’s building award-winning games or crafting engine technology that enables others to make visually stunning interactive experiences, we’re always innovating.
Being Epic means being a part of a team that continually strives to do right by our community and users. We’re constantly innovating to raise the bar of engine and game development.
What We Do
We design customer and user-focused experiences that are fresh and innovative while problem- solving by anticipating user behavior and hurdles. We approach the most complex of challenges and address them with simple, intuitive, and valuable solutions.
What You'll Do
Epic Games is seeking talented, experienced Technical UI Designers to work on Fortnite. In this position, you will have a role as a collaborative team member implementing UI systems design in Unreal engine, building rapid prototypes, layouts, visual scripting, and leveling up our workflows. You will work with UX Designers, UI Artists, and UI Engineers to ship these features to millions of users worldwide. The ideal candidate would have expertise in introductory algebra and geometry math ("Game math"), game systems, and fundamental programming principles.
In this role, you will
- Work on UI Systems Design, break down feature/wireframes into necessary widgets, structures, and classes; increase UI performance by ensuring best practices are followed by colleagues
- Ensure assets/UI are within memory and CPU constraints. Learning to profile performance and the costs of UMG/Slate/C++/and texture memory Implement blueprint logic when presentation logic calls for it. Assist UI Artists where necessary in implementing special presentation behavior. Consult with UI engineers on the logic that will be in the blueprint vs native code
- Debug blueprints/UMG issues quickly using various tools and techniques
- Find ways to assist UX, UI Art, and UI engineering in organization, documentation, and building workflow improvements
What we're looking for
- 3-6+ years of experience in building UI and experiences in game engines and across multiple platforms (mobile, web, pc, consoles) or similar transferable experience
- 2+ years of experience shipping updates and new features to a user base on a regular cadence or similar transferable experience
- Professional experience using Adobe Suite (especially Photoshop, Illustrator a plus), have engine experience (Custom engine, Unity, UE4, Lumberyard, Snowdrop, etc.), and an understanding of game industry 3D-package experience (3D Studio, Maya, etc.)
- You have an eye for pixel-perfect UI, translating and spotting various potential issues with mockups as you help see the designs into the engine
- You are a logical problem solver and have attention to detail
- You can "translate" communication across departments (talk to engineering about UI Art needs, summarize technical issues, etc.), but also have empathy for non-technical team members and the ability to empower others on your team
If you have a portfolio/reel/website you'd like to share, please hyperlink it to your resume, or submit it as an attachment with your application.
Epic Games spans across 19 countries with 55 studios and 4,500+ employees globally. For over 25 years, we’ve been making award-winning games and engine technology that empowers others to make visually stunning games and 3D content that bring environments to life like never before. Epic’s award-winning Unreal Engine technology not only provides game developers the ability to build high-fidelity, interactive experiences for PC, console, mobile, and VR, it is also a tool being embraced by content creators across a variety of industries such as media and entertainment, automotive, and architectural design. As we continue to build our Engine technology and develop remarkable games, we strive to build teams of world-class talent.
Like what you hear? Come be a part of something Epic!
Epic Games deeply values diverse teams and an inclusive work culture, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. Learn more about our Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy here.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Epic does not accept any unsolicited resumes or approaches from any unauthorized third party (including recruitment or placement agencies) (i.e., a third party with whom we do not have a negotiated and validly executed agreement). We will not pay any fees to any unauthorized third party. Further details on these matters can be found here.