Lead UI Artist
WHAT MAKES US EPIC?
At the core of Epic’s success are talented, passionate people. Epic prides itself on creating a collaborative, welcoming, and creative environment. Whether it’s building award-winning games or crafting engine technology that enables others to make visually stunning interactive experiences, we’re always innovating.
Being Epic means being a part of a team that continually strives to do right by our community and users. We’re constantly innovating to raise the bar of engine and game development.
What We Do
We design customer and user-focused experiences that are fresh and innovative, while problem solving by anticipating user behavior and hurdles. We solve the most complex of problems and address them with simple, intuitive, and useful solutions.
What You'll Do
In this position you will lead and manage a team of UI Artists (1-4) working on major initiatives of Fortnite (E.g., Gameplay UI, the Battlepass, or Social Systems). You will use your experience of generating and implementing pixel perfect UI Art and guide your team to produce well thought out features and systems. You and your team will be responsible for generating high fidelity mockups, prototypes, design systems and implementing AAA quality UI Art in Unreal Engine 5.
In this role, you will
- Lead UI Art on a product team; inspire, mentor and manage a team of UI Artists (1-4).
- Be accountable for the quality and consistency of UI Art produced on the product team; be an active part of the product leadership team and identify and scope feature work.
- Work collaboratively with UX Design, Tech Design and Code to create AAA quality UI experiences; actively participate in the creation and implementation of design systems, game menus, HUD elements, Iconography, UI materials and shaders, UI animation and motion design.
- Work quickly and effectively in a fast paced environment; be flexible and adaptable when faced with ambiguity; contribute to shipping product team features on time and to quality.
- Flag new and emerging design patterns or systems from the product team to UI Art Directors.
- Collaborate with the greater UXUI Department to ensure consistency and quality is maintained across Fortnite as a product; work collaboratively with UI Art leadership on discipline planning, resourcing, recruitment and training.
- Collaborate with other UX/UI Craft leads to ensure great communication is happening and stronger cross team relationships are built; present and pitch designs to Product Managers, Developers, and Stakeholders.
What we're looking for
- You have 2-4 years of experience managing a team of 1-4 people or equivalent training.
- 7+ years of experience designing and implementing in-game UI.
- You have 7+ years of experience working in Agile environments and on multi-disciplinary teams.
- You are skilled with Figma, Adobe Suite, or other comparable design software.
- You have experience implementing AAA quality UI Art in Unreal Engine or other comparable game engines.
- You are passionate about training and mentoring your team.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills and experience presenting to other team members and stakeholders.
- You are a service oriented, empathetic, and compassionate leader.
- Highly desired - Experience with Unreal Engine and Unreal Motion Graphics; experience with building shaders and materials in Unreal Engine or comparable game engines.
- Highly desired - Portfolio demonstrating a keen eye for Motion Design and animation; experience in creating 3d game assets in software packages like 3ds Max and/or Maya.
If you have a portfolio/reel/website you'd like to share, please hyperlink it to your resume, or submit it as an attachment with your application.
EPIC JOB + EPIC BENEFITS = EPIC LIFE
Our intent is to cover all things that are medically necessary and improve the quality of life. We pay 100% of the premiums for both you and your dependents. Our coverage includes Medical, Dental, a Vision HRA, Long Term Disability, Life Insurance & a 401k with competitive match. We also offer a robust mental well-being program through Modern Health, which provides free therapy and coaching for employees & dependents.
Throughout the year we celebrate our employees with events and company-wide paid breaks. We offer unlimited PTO and sick time and recognize individuals for 7 years of employment with a paid sabbatical.
Epic Games spans across 19 countries with 55 studios and 4,500+ employees globally. For over 25 years, we’ve been making award-winning games and engine technology that empowers others to make visually stunning games and 3D content that bring environments to life like never before. Epic’s award-winning Unreal Engine technology not only provides game developers the ability to build high-fidelity, interactive experiences for PC, console, mobile, and VR, it is also a tool being embraced by content creators across a variety of industries such as media and entertainment, automotive, and architectural design. As we continue to build our Engine technology and develop remarkable games, we strive to build teams of world-class talent.
Like what you hear? Come be a part of something Epic!
Epic Games deeply values diverse teams and an inclusive work culture, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. Learn more about our Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy here.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Epic does not accept any unsolicited resumes or approaches from any unauthorized third party (including recruitment or placement agencies) (i.e., a third party with whom we do not have a negotiated and validly executed agreement). We will not pay any fees to any unauthorized third party. Further details on these matters can be found here.