Cinematic FX Artist
WHAT MAKES US EPIC?
At the core of Epic’s success are talented, passionate people. Epic prides itself on creating a collaborative, welcoming, and creative environment. Whether it’s building award-winning games or crafting engine technology that enables others to make visually stunning interactive experiences, we’re always innovating.
Being Epic means being a part of a team that continually strives to do right by our community and users. We’re constantly innovating to raise the bar of engine and game development.
What We Do
In the Cinematics Team, we are pushing the boundaries of what is possible in real time. We are in the early stages of this growth in real time quality work and we are growing quickly and implementing various techniques and ideas to improve what can be done in Unreal Engine. Our team is one of the few at the forefront of delivering innovation, through cinematic quality visuals. If this isn’t the right one for your role, you should check the document I sent you to select the right one in the second tab.
What You'll Do
We are looking for a Senior FX Artist who is highly motivated to join our cinematic team and play a vital role in transforming in-game FX into a cinematic quality in Unreal Engine. Explore various techniques and solutions and implement them in our Fortnite cinematics. Use your artistic eye and creativity to push boundaries while collaborating with our internal in-game team and outsource partners with FX tasks.
In this role, you will
- Working on Epic's cinematic team to design various real time FX in Unreal Engine for use in cinematic shots
- Creating cinematic quality real time FX (smoke, fire, energy etc)
- Working with outsourcing vendors to help them get up to speed with Unreal and help in FX tasks
- Collaborating with the FX game team to transfer/integrate/adapt assets from the game for use in cinematics
- Identifying areas of improvements in our FX toolset and work with Unreal engineers to help grow/improve/develop new ideas
- Find ways to incorporate new tech/tools into our cinematics
What we're looking for
- 5 years of FX experience either in VFX or games
- Understanding of how to adapt/upgrade/translate game FX into their cinematic or movie version, by identifying and retaining key shapes and concepts while plussing the fidelity
- Experience with DCC tools working on running fluid simulations, proceduralism and mesh generation
- Experience working with game engine technologies (Unreal would be a nice to have)
- A good understanding/experience in proceduralism, including shaders
- A critical eye for the timing, animation, and motion of real world objects and visual FX with an ability to bring dramatic FX to life with flair
This role is open to multiple locations across North America (including NYC, CA, & WA).
Pay Transparency Information
The expected annual base pay range(s) for this position are detailed below. Each base pay range is relevant only for individuals who are residents of or will be expected to work within the specified locale. Compensation varies based on a variety of factors, which include (but aren’t limited to) things such as skills and competencies, qualifications, knowledge, and experience. In addition to base pay, most employees are eligible to participate in Epic’s generous benefit plans and discretionary incentive programs (subject to the terms of those plans or programs).
Epic Games spans across 19 countries with 55 studios and 4,500+ employees globally. For over 25 years, we’ve been making award-winning games and engine technology that empowers others to make visually stunning games and 3D content that bring environments to life like never before. Epic’s award-winning Unreal Engine technology not only provides game developers the ability to build high-fidelity, interactive experiences for PC, console, mobile, and VR, it is also a tool being embraced by content creators across a variety of industries such as media and entertainment, automotive, and architectural design. As we continue to build our Engine technology and develop remarkable games, we strive to build teams of world-class talent.
Like what you hear? Come be a part of something Epic!
Epic Games deeply values diverse teams and an inclusive work culture, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. Learn more about our Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy here.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Epic does not accept any unsolicited resumes or approaches from any unauthorized third party (including recruitment or placement agencies) (i.e., a third party with whom we do not have a negotiated and validly executed agreement). We will not pay any fees to any unauthorized third party. Further details on these matters can be found here.