OS Lead Character Artist
WHAT MAKES US EPIC?
At the core of Epic’s success are talented, passionate people. Epic prides itself on creating a collaborative, welcoming, and creative environment. Whether it’s building award-winning games or crafting engine technology that enables others to make visually stunning interactive experiences, we’re always innovating.
Being Epic means being a part of a team that continually strives to do right by our community and users. We’re constantly innovating to raise the bar of engine and game development.
What We Do
Push your artistic talent to the limit on a team of world-class character Character artists who strive to innovate and inspire.
What You'll Do
Epic Games is searching for an experienced Character Outsourcing Lead to support and supervise creative content provided by outsource partners. Though the role will be mainly supervisory, the individual should be an experienced Character artist, having worked in game studio pipelines before, and have a solid hands-on art background.
The ideal candidate would be a talented Character artist who is able to communicate with outsource partners, including documenting existing pipelines, collecting or creating quality bar and technical example assets, collecting photo reference, creating mood boards, creating paint overs, and finally collaborating with other teams at Epic to ensure that Character art is of the highest quality and adequately supports the needs of those teams and the project.
In this role, you will
- Work closely with the individual Epic Art Leads, Outsource Manager(s), and artists on the team to support external vendors by providing front-line creative feedback for work submitted for Epic review.
- Collect or generate detailed documentation, video reference, and examples of art asset production, procedures, and engine requirements to support the external vendors.
- If required, making any needed fixes to keep assets consistent and technically game ready as they’re handed off from the outsource partner.
- Clearly communicating feedback to the outsource partner, and ensuring those creative notes and goals are met. Informing leadership in the event that isn’t happening.
- Communicating and partnering with internal Epic art staff to ensure that outsource Character art is clear and respects limitations from other disciplines.
- When required, some amount of hands-on art production to deliver Characters for the project, ensuring they are familiar and capable working alongside other Epic artists.
What we're looking for
- Worked on at least one AAA game in a Senior Character Artist role.
- Portfolio that demonstrates a range of styles, creativity and craftsmanship.
- Effective communicator, collaborator, and problem solver able to coordinate between internal and external teams and deliver clear and concise feedback.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to accurately estimate tasks and maintain schedules.
- Understanding of other game art disciplines, their workflows and limitations (animation, character, environment, VFX).
- Experienced working within a team and a high pressure production environment.
- A PLUS - Fluency in a language other than English, including Chinese, German, Spanish, Italian, or Russian.
If you have a portfolio/reel/website you'd like to share, please hyperlink it to your resume, or submit it as an attachment with your application.
EPIC JOB + EPIC BENEFITS = EPIC LIFE
Our intent is to cover all things that are medically necessary and improve the quality of life. We pay 100% of the premiums for both you and your dependents. Our coverage includes Medical, Dental, a Vision HRA, Long Term Disability, Life Insurance & a 401k with competitive match. We also offer a robust mental well-being program through Modern Health, which provides free therapy and coaching for employees & dependents.
Throughout the year we celebrate our employees with events and company-wide paid breaks. We offer unlimited PTO and sick time and recognize individuals for 7 years of employment with a paid sabbatical.
Epic Games spans across 19 countries with 55 studios and 4,500+ employees globally. For over 25 years, we’ve been making award-winning games and engine technology that empowers others to make visually stunning games and 3D content that bring environments to life like never before. Epic’s award-winning Unreal Engine technology not only provides game developers the ability to build high-fidelity, interactive experiences for PC, console, mobile, and VR, it is also a tool being embraced by content creators across a variety of industries such as media and entertainment, automotive, and architectural design. As we continue to build our Engine technology and develop remarkable games, we strive to build teams of world-class talent.
Like what you hear? Come be a part of something Epic!
Epic Games deeply values diverse teams and an inclusive work culture, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. Learn more about our Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy here.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Epic does not accept any unsolicited resumes or approaches from any unauthorized third party (including recruitment or placement agencies) (i.e., a third party with whom we do not have a negotiated and validly executed agreement). We will not pay any fees to any unauthorized third party. Further details on these matters can be found here.