Lead Gameplay Programmer
WHAT MAKES US EPIC?
At the core of Epic’s success are talented, passionate people. Epic prides itself on creating a collaborative, welcoming, and creative environment. Whether it’s building award-winning games or crafting engine technology that enables others to make visually stunning interactive experiences, we’re always innovating.
Being Epic means being a part of a team that continually strives to do right by our community and users. We’re constantly innovating to raise the bar of engine and game development.
ENGINEERING - SPECIAL PROJECTS
What We Do
The Special Projects team at Epic is responsible for executing high-impact projects that push the envelope to define the future of real-time graphics and gaming technology (The Matrix Awakens, Lumen in the Land of Nanite). In collaboration with the Unreal Engine team, we strive to put our technology and knowledge into the hands of users, empowering developers and content creators with the most powerful suite of real-time tools in the world.
What You'll Do
As a member of our team you will play a critical role in driving future projects that push boundaries, inspire creators, and help define the future of the Unreal Engine. As a Lead Gameplay Programmer you will be in a dynamic role on a small and focused team. You will have opportunities to work on a variety of projects, to get hands-on with cutting-edge technologies, and to collaborate with talented internal and external teams, all while building impactful experiences from concept to delivery.
In this role, you will
- Lead development for a project or initiative
- Experiment with game design and use rapid prototyping while ensuring that strong architectural and algorithmic decisions are made
- Work closely with art and design to create and iterate on gameplay features
- Collaborate with Unreal Engine teams to help guide ongoing feature development
- Optimize and fix bugs in existing systems
- Contribute ideas toward all aspects of the project’s production and development
- Write robust, maintainable code
What we're looking for
- Significant experience developing games or other interactive real-time technology applications
- A keen analytical mind with creative problem-solving skills and the ability to think outside of the box
- Strong C++ skills and the ability to code and architect gameplay systems, mechanics, and tools
- The ability to empathize with users and to balance the inherent tradeoffs in developing with the user in mind
- Strong teamwork and cross-discipline collaboration skills, including the ability to deliver and respond to constructive feedback
- Self-motivation, a strong work ethic, and ability to work independently
- Creativity in problem-solving and the ability to think outside of the established solutions
EPIC JOB + EPIC BENEFITS = EPIC LIFE
Our intent is to cover all things that are medically necessary and improve the quality of life. We pay 100% of the premiums for both you and your dependents. Our coverage includes Medical, Dental, a Vision HRA, Long Term Disability, Life Insurance & a 401k with competitive match. We also offer a robust mental well-being program through Modern Health, which provides free therapy and coaching for employees & dependents. Throughout the year we celebrate our employees with events and company-wide paid breaks. We offer unlimited PTO and sick time and recognize individuals for 7 years of employment with a paid sabbatical.
Pay Transparency Information
The expected annual base pay range(s) for this position are detailed below. Each base pay range is relevant only for individuals who are residents of or will be expected to work within the specified locale. Compensation varies based on a variety of factors, which include (but aren’t limited to) things such as skills and competencies, qualifications, knowledge, and experience. In addition to base pay, most employees are eligible to participate in Epic’s generous benefit plans and discretionary incentive programs (subject to the terms of those plans or programs).
Epic Games spans across 19 countries with 55 studios and 4,500+ employees globally. For over 25 years, we’ve been making award-winning games and engine technology that empowers others to make visually stunning games and 3D content that bring environments to life like never before. Epic’s award-winning Unreal Engine technology not only provides game developers the ability to build high-fidelity, interactive experiences for PC, console, mobile, and VR, it is also a tool being embraced by content creators across a variety of industries such as media and entertainment, automotive, and architectural design. As we continue to build our Engine technology and develop remarkable games, we strive to build teams of world-class talent.
Like what you hear? Come be a part of something Epic!
Epic Games deeply values diverse teams and an inclusive work culture, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. Learn more about our Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy here.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Epic does not accept any unsolicited resumes or approaches from any unauthorized third party (including recruitment or placement agencies) (i.e., a third party with whom we do not have a negotiated and validly executed agreement). We will not pay any fees to any unauthorized third party. Further details on these matters can be found here.