Lead Platform Programmer
WHAT MAKES US EPIC?
At the core of Epic’s success are talented, passionate people. Epic prides itself on creating a collaborative, welcoming, and creative environment. Whether it’s building award-winning games or crafting engine technology that enables others to make visually stunning interactive experiences, we’re always innovating.
Being Epic means being a part of a team that continually strives to do right by our community and users. We’re constantly innovating to raise the bar of engine and game development.
ENGINEERING - GAMES
What We Do
Unreal projects have been leading the pack of real-time entertainment with our constantly growing team of engineering experts. We’re always improving on the tools and technology that empower content developers worldwide.
What You'll Do
The Fortnite Technology team are looking for a Lead Platform Programmer passionate about leading a team and solving problems in the PC space. You will lead other engineers and directly contribute to building and improving our Desktop platform support to an industry-leading state. This role covers a wide range of specialties such as Rendering and partnering with IHVs through optimized platform code and ensuring critical features are available and performant for the Fortnite user base. If you're an experienced engineer looking for an opportunity to grow in the leadership space and contribute to both Fortnite and Unreal Engine development, we want to talk to you!
In this role, you will
- Lead a team of highly-skilled individuals and set the path forward for the PC platform, outlining key problem spaces and opportunities for growth and technical improvement
- Provide continuous feedback and mentorship for your team to help them grow and excel
- Implement and improve various low-level systems that interface with platform APIs, i.e. memory allocators (physical and virtual), file systems, input systems, graphics APIs, etc
- Analyze and continuously strive to solve and optimize problems related to a modern game engine (load times, memory usage and platform specific performance issues)
- Make improvements to platform toolchains, i.e. compiler/linker support, deployment to device, SDK upgrades, platform specific data management tools, debugger integration, crash reporting, etc
- Partner with stakeholders across Fortnite and Unreal Engine to establish clear priorities and define expectations which translate to a scope of work the team can effectively deliver on
- Deliver ongoing, transparent communication with a focus on expectations, fostering trust with your team, internal stakeholders and external partners
What we're looking for
- Strong programming background, C++ knowledge and well-versed in software engineering principles
- Experience in a lead position or demonstrable ability to grow into the role
- Experience with a broad range of engineering areas in shipping games or real-time visualization systems, with special attention given to low-level code and deep optimization
- Experience with OS level systems, Windows APIs and common frameworks are a plus
- Experience with development tools and profiling on modern systems, including PC, console, and/or mobile
- Experience developing in a large codebase at a fast pace, making trade-offs between usability, performance, and power
- Prior shipped Unreal Engine projects a plus
This role is open to multiple locations (including WA).
Pay Transparency Information
The expected annual base pay range(s) for this position are detailed below. Each base pay range is relevant only for individuals who are residents of or will be expected to work within the specified locale. Compensation varies based on a variety of factors, which include (but aren’t limited to) things such as skills and competencies, qualifications, knowledge, and experience. In addition to base pay, most employees are eligible to participate in Epic’s generous benefit plans and discretionary incentive programs (subject to the terms of those plans or programs).
EPIC JOB + EPIC BENEFITS = EPIC LIFE
Our intent is to cover all things that are medically necessary and improve the quality of life. We pay 100% of the premiums for both you and your dependents. Our coverage includes Medical, Dental, a Vision HRA, Long Term Disability, Life Insurance & a 401k with competitive match. We also offer a robust mental well-being program through Modern Health, which provides free therapy and coaching for employees & dependents. Throughout the year we celebrate our employees with events and company-wide paid breaks. We offer unlimited PTO and sick time and recognize individuals for 7 years of employment with a paid sabbatical.
Epic Games spans across 19 countries with 55 studios and 4,500+ employees globally. For over 25 years, we’ve been making award-winning games and engine technology that empowers others to make visually stunning games and 3D content that bring environments to life like never before. Epic’s award-winning Unreal Engine technology not only provides game developers the ability to build high-fidelity, interactive experiences for PC, console, mobile, and VR, it is also a tool being embraced by content creators across a variety of industries such as media and entertainment, automotive, and architectural design. As we continue to build our Engine technology and develop remarkable games, we strive to build teams of world-class talent.
Like what you hear? Come be a part of something Epic!
Epic Games deeply values diverse teams and an inclusive work culture, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. Learn more about our Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy here.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Epic does not accept any unsolicited resumes or approaches from any unauthorized third party (including recruitment or placement agencies) (i.e., a third party with whom we do not have a negotiated and validly executed agreement). We will not pay any fees to any unauthorized third party. Further details on these matters can be found here.