Lead Platform Engineer, LEGO Fortnite
WHAT MAKES US EPIC?
At the core of Epic’s success are talented, passionate people. Epic prides itself on creating a collaborative, welcoming, and creative environment. Whether it’s building award-winning games or crafting engine technology that enables others to make visually stunning interactive experiences, we’re always innovating.
Being Epic means being a part of a team that continually strives to do right by our community and users. We’re constantly innovating to raise the bar of engine and game development.
PROGRAMMING - GAMES
What We Do
Unreal projects have been leading the pack of real-time entertainment with our constantly growing team of programming experts. We’re always improving on the tools and technology that empower content developers worldwide.
What You'll Do
Today, we are growing the team that is forging the first adventures in LEGO Fortnite, blending the engaging and welcoming Fortnite universe with the creativity and playfulness of LEGO. We’re looking for a Platform Programming Lead for the Core Tech team within LEGO Fortnite. This role is to manage and provide technical leadership for the Platform team, responsible for supporting all devices in the Fortnite ecosystem, performance and memory, and delivering on the Core Tech needs of the game. It will be your responsibility to balance the capabilities and capacity of the team, identify and task out work, and ensure future updates are reached shipping quality. You will have a dedicated team of reports and the help and close partnership of other Core Tech teams from across Unreal Engine and Fortnite. Most importantly, you’ll work with a creative, energetic, and fun team to bring a brand-new game experience to players worldwide!
In this role, you will
- Manage a tight knit group of Platform developers and ensure a healthy, sustainable, productive environment
- Work closely with production to balance the broad capabilities of the team with project needs and timelines
- Lead a team to design and implement new engine runtime features for the game, and the Unreal Engine itself
- Lead a team to design and implement APIs and supporting tools as required by the demands of the project
- Analyze and optimize both memory and performance in systems that have to scale from high-end to mobile systems
- Collaborate with other teams and disciplines across Epic
- Contribute to the broader design and implementation of the whole project
What we're looking for
- Management and technical leadership experience, ideally of teams with diverse skill sets and many partnerships
- Experience with Unreal Engine - ideally with projects developed in UE4 or UE5
- Experience in a broad range of programming areas on shipping games or real time visualization systems, with special attention given to low-level code
- Experience with deep optimization and workflow improvements are very nice to have
- Well-versed in software programming principles
- Experience in a cross-disciplinary development environment with excellent communication skills. You should be able to communicate and explain trade-offs with non-engineers!
- Fearless attitude to making deep and profound changes to an existing engine to provide paradigm shifting improvements that change the world
- Experience developing in a large codebase at a fast pace, making trade-offs between usability, performance, and robustness
This role is open to multiple locations in North America (including CA, NYC, & WA).
Pay Transparency Information
The expected annual base pay range(s) for this position are detailed below. Each base pay range is relevant only for individuals who are residents of or will be expected to work within the specified locale. Compensation varies based on a variety of factors, which include (but aren’t limited to) things such as skills and competencies, qualifications, knowledge, and experience. In addition to base pay, most employees are eligible to participate in Epic’s generous benefit plans and discretionary incentive programs (subject to the terms of those plans or programs).
Epic Games spans across 19 countries with 55 studios and 4,500+ employees globally. For over 25 years, we’ve been making award-winning games and engine technology that empowers others to make visually stunning games and 3D content that bring environments to life like never before. Epic’s award-winning Unreal Engine technology not only provides game developers the ability to build high-fidelity, interactive experiences for PC, console, mobile, and VR, it is also a tool being embraced by content creators across a variety of industries such as media and entertainment, automotive, and architectural design. As we continue to build our Engine technology and develop remarkable games, we strive to build teams of world-class talent.
Like what you hear? Come be a part of something Epic!
Epic Games deeply values diverse teams and an inclusive work culture, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. Learn more about our Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy here.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Epic does not accept any unsolicited resumes or approaches from any unauthorized third party (including recruitment or placement agencies) (i.e., a third party with whom we do not have a negotiated and validly executed agreement). We will not pay any fees to any unauthorized third party. Further details on these matters can be found here.