Staff Backend Engineer, Billing
About the role:
We are seeking an experienced Engineer with a strong sense of ownership and a deep passion for building scalable and resilient systems.
Our Billing team plays a crucial role that directly impacts the company’s bottom line.
The team’s responsibilities involve efficiently processing an extensive volume of records to accurately calculate Forter's revenues and generate industry-standard reports across all product lines. Additionally, the team is taking an active part in shaping Forter’s long-term product vision while navigating the ever-changing landscape of the company’s billing models.
why should you join us?
We have a ton of important work to do, which is why we’re hiring! Our projects are of course changing all the time, but here are a few that we’ve either done in the past or are planning for the near future, so you can get an idea of the types of work we do
- Enable the business to expand Forter’s set of offerings by representing the billing perspective in the decision-making process.
- Build and maintain scalable, performance-oriented systems, responsible for digesting hundreds of millions of transactions per month.
- Constantly aim toward improving the systems to meet the highest observability and monitoring standards.
- Take part in migrating our system to use distributed infrastructures (e.g. K8S, Kafka, etc.) with zero-downtime.
What you'll be doing:
- Lead hands-on development efforts while working closely with teammates and other individual contributors at Forter
- Leveling up the development standards by mentoring fellow engineers
- Take an active role in defining and implementing various billing models for Forter’s current and future offerings.
- Set a multi-year tech vision for Forter’s billing product. Map needs and pain points, define priorities and goals, and lead their execution.
- Initiate and own complex projects, work with PMs to define features and scope, and guide through technical decisions and tradeoffs
- Act as a technical leader for product definitions: make architectural decisions, get buy-ins from internal clients across the organization, provide a formal way of documentation
- Collaborate in an environment involving various stakeholders within the company by planning, brainstorming, and sharing feedback.
What you'll need:
- 7+ years of experience writing and maintaining distributed backend systems
- At least 2 years of experience in tech leadership with a proven background of hands-on leading a significant technical project
- Passion and experience overseeing a product’s lifecycle - from vision through requirements gathering to CI/CD cycles
- Experience designing and working with large-scale distributed systems
- Excellent communication skills - can talk and explain at the right level of abstraction to different audiences
- Experience with the AWS ecosystem
- Excellent design, development, delivery, and quality assurance skills
- Enthusiasm for providing technical solutions that bring immediate impact
- Passionate about coding and mentoring others
It'd be really cool if you also have: [not a MUST]
- Thorough experience with python
- Previous background in the fintech industry
- Experience with Databricks / pySpark for distributed calculations
- Experience with K8S over EKS or other container management platforms
- Experience with an observability system such as Honeycomb, Datadog, Grafana, etc.
- Experience with building and maintaining ETLs
- Previous experience working with B2B products and customers
- Practical experience in writing design documents and architectural documentation standards, such as ADRs
Digital commerce is built on trust. At every point along the eCommerce journey, businesses must make a critical decision: Can I trust this customer? Answering this simple question accurately and instantly is powerful—it can accelerate revenue growth and strengthen a company’s connection with its customers. How do we do it? Forter was founded on the insight that it's not about what is being purchased, nor where— but who is behind the interaction.
The Forter Decision Engine finds patterns across more than one billion identities in our dataset. We isolate fraudsters and protect customers—ensuring everyone gets the experience they deserve. Given that trust is central to how we operate, Forter is very much driven by a defined set of values. We attract remarkable talent and have retention and engagement levels that are well above benchmarks. We’re meticulous about strengthening our culture as we grow and ensuring this is an environment where people can have outsized impact.
Trust is backed by data – Forter is a recipient of over 10 workplace and innovation awards, including:
- Great Place to Work Certification (2021, 2022, 2023)
- Fortune’s Best Workplaces in NYC (2022)
- #3 on Fast Company’s list of “Most Innovative Finance Companies” (2022)
- Forbes Cloud 100 (2021, 2022)
- SAP Pinnacle Awards “New Partner Application Award” (2023)
- Fintech Breakthrough Awards – Best Fraud Prevention Platform (2023)
Life as a Forterian:
We are a team of over 500 Forterians spread across 3 different continents. Since 2013, we've raised $525 million from investors such as Tiger Global, Bessemer, Sequoia Capital, March Capital and Salesforce Ventures. We're on a mission to bring trust to global digital commerce so that companies like Nordstrom, Priceline, Instacart and ASOS can block fraud, drive revenue and improve customer experience.
At Forter, we believe unique people create unique ideas, and valuable experience comes in many forms. So, even if your background doesn't match everything we have listed in the job description, we still encourage you to apply and tell us why your skills and values could be an asset to us. By welcoming different perspectives, we grow together as humans and as a company.
Forter is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that will consider all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.