Engineering Manager, Detection Ingress
About the role:
The Identity Group stands at the core of Forter’s competitive edge in the market. The group is in charge of creating the engine that identifies clients and gauges the risk for the actions they are trying to perform. Due to its criticality, Forter’s identity engine is a focal point from both a business and a technical perspective. That centrality means that we are always looking for new ways to make the engine faster, easier to modify, with higher throughput, and more accurate.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to lead our Detection Ingress team. The team is in charge of the critical systems that process and aggregate the huge quantity of events that, over time, build Forter’s detection data corpus.
The team (as the whole group) is almost entirely focused on non-functional KPIs like precision, throughput, and cost. This means that some of our biggest efforts go to solving engineering-led problems, as opposed to adding more product features or user stories. To succeed in this environment, a strong engineering base is required, and preferably some specific experience with data-streaming problems.
Why should you join us?
- You want to lead a team central to the company’s core market value
- You’re looking for a pure-backend team, with a focus on building an engine rather than a feature-oriented team
- You’re looking for a leadership position with very broad autonomy regarding the work that gets done, with an ability to innovate and initiate efforts that move the needle on the company scale
- You want to lead and help develop top industry talent
- You want to own systems that do complex work under massive scales
What you'll be doing:
- Lead and grow the Detection Ingest team (4 engineers and growing)
- Design and maintain the flows that ingest some of Forter’s most business-critical data. Own systems that are in company-wide focus
- Work hand in hand with engineers to solve significant technical challenges
- Take part in planning the roadmap for future technical investments in the domain
- Manage extremely talented and experienced people, help them grow and develop
What you'll need:
- A strong engineering background and an aptitude for event streaming (>8 years hands-on)
- Experience as an EM (>2 years)
- Passion for architecture and technical challenges, ability to lead complex efforts in those fields
- A sharp sense of judging ROI (business value vs. effort) for technical investments
- Excellent presentation skills - can talk and explain at the right level of abstraction to different audiences
- Fluent in written and spoken English
It'd be really cool if you also: [NOT A MUST]
- Strong preference: previously worked in or managed a team developing an engine with main KPIs revolving around SLAs and non-functional requirements: precision, latency, throughput, cost, etc…
- Previous experience developing data-streaming systems
Digital commerce is built on trust. At every point along the eCommerce journey, businesses must make a critical decision: Can I trust this customer? Answering this simple question accurately and instantly is powerful—it can accelerate revenue growth and strengthen a company’s connection with its customers. How do we do it? Forter was founded on the insight that it's not about what is being purchased, nor where— but who is behind the interaction.
The Forter Decision Engine finds patterns across more than one billion identities in our dataset. We isolate fraudsters and protect customers—ensuring everyone gets the experience they deserve. Given that trust is central to how we operate, Forter is very much driven by a defined set of values. We attract remarkable talent and have retention and engagement levels that are well above benchmarks. We’re meticulous about strengthening our culture as we grow and ensuring this is an environment where people can have outsized impact.
Trust is backed by data – Forter is a recipient of over 10 workplace and innovation awards, including:
- Great Place to Work Certification (2021, 2022, 2023)
- Fortune’s Best Workplaces in NYC (2022)
- #3 on Fast Company’s list of “Most Innovative Finance Companies” (2022)
- Forbes Cloud 100 (2021, 2022)
- SAP Pinnacle Awards “New Partner Application Award” (2023)
- Fintech Breakthrough Awards – Best Fraud Prevention Platform (2023)
Life as a Forterian:
We are a team of over 500 Forterians spread across 3 different continents. Since 2013, we've raised $525 million from investors such as Tiger Global, Bessemer, Sequoia Capital, March Capital and Salesforce Ventures. We're on a mission to bring trust to global digital commerce so that companies like Nordstrom, Priceline, Instacart and ASOS can block fraud, drive revenue and improve customer experience.
At Forter, we believe unique people create unique ideas, and valuable experience comes in many forms. So, even if your background doesn't match everything we have listed in the job description, we still encourage you to apply and tell us why your skills and values could be an asset to us. By welcoming different perspectives, we grow together as humans and as a company.
Forter is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that will consider all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.