Senior Software Engineer, ML Platform
About the role:
Forter is looking for a Senior Engineer with a data engineering background to join our growing ML Platform team. This is a great opportunity to enter the world of Machine Learning. Together we’ll provide tools to develop more effective models, get them into production faster, and ensure that they continue to perform well over time.
ML is central to Forter’s work. In 2020 alone, it enabled us to process e-commerce transactions worth over $200B, make decisions in real time, identify fraud rings, and quickly detect new attack methods. Precision is crucial - bad decisions by our models cost us directly and put money into the pockets of fraudsters.
Our adoption by merchants around the world provides us with billions of fresh data points each day. Our team of data scientists, analysts, and cyber intelligence specialists continually identify new signals, engineer new features, and research new models. But as the volume of data and the number and complexity of models grows, so do the engineering challenges.
If this kind of working environment sounds exciting to you, if you understand that Engineering is about building the most effective and elegant solution within a given set of constraints - consider applying for this position.
Why should you join us?
You’ll be part of a highly proficient engineering team that is a focal point for all ML engineering activity, striving to constantly bring innovation and leverage ML capabilities across all company teams and products.
What you will be doing:
- Designing, building, and maintaining the ML infrastructure that allows Forter’s models to make billions of real-time decisions every year.
- Building a platform that enables managing a full ML model lifecycle - from researching to training, deploying, and serving predictions in real-time.
- Building distributed data processing pipelines to support model development.
- Acting as a consultant to researchers, data scientists, and expert analysts and enabling them to research new models faster and with greater precision by providing cutting-edge tooling.
- Expanding our ML infrastructure to make it scalable, quick, and efficient to bring diverse models to production and to monitor their performance and drift over time.
- Expanding the pool of internal customers able to use ML at Forter. Work with them to understand their needs and help them make the most of the infrastructure that we’ll provide.
- Acting as an advocate for MLOps, continually improving our processes, and raising our standards.
Who are you?
- 4+ years experience with large-scale data processing, ideally with Apache Spark.
- 5+ years developing complex software projects with at least one of general-purpose languages (preferably Python, but not a must)
- Backend and server-side development experience of complex, highly scalable systems
- Experienced with machine learning concepts and frameworks.
- Motivation to understand the needs of internal users, provide them with great tooling, and teach them how to use it.
- Experience working with public clouds (AWS / GCP / Azure)
- Fluent in written and spoken English
It’d be really cool if you also:
- Are familiar with Databricks or Airflow.
- Are comfortable in a containerized environment.
- Have experience with maintaining highly available, low latency, real-time services
Digital commerce is built on trust. At every point along the eCommerce journey, businesses must make a critical decision: Can I trust this customer? Answering this simple question accurately and instantly is powerful—it can accelerate revenue growth and strengthen a company’s connection with its customers. How do we do it? Forter was founded on the insight that it's not about what is being purchased, nor where— but who is behind the interaction.
The Forter Decision Engine finds patterns across more than one billion identities in our dataset. We isolate fraudsters and protect customers—ensuring everyone gets the experience they deserve. Given that trust is central to how we operate, Forter is very much driven by a defined set of values. We attract remarkable talent and have retention and engagement levels that are well above benchmarks. We’re meticulous about strengthening our culture as we grow and ensuring this is an environment where people can have outsized impact.
Trust is backed by data – Forter is a recipient of over 10 workplace and innovation awards, including:
- Great Place to Work Certification (2021, 2022, 2023)
- Fortune’s Best Workplaces in NYC (2022)
- #3 on Fast Company’s list of “Most Innovative Finance Companies” (2022)
- Forbes Cloud 100 (2021, 2022)
- SAP Pinnacle Awards “New Partner Application Award” (2023)
- Fintech Breakthrough Awards – Best Fraud Prevention Platform (2023)
Life as a Forterian:
We are a team of over 500 Forterians spread across 3 different continents. Since 2013, we've raised $525 million from investors such as Tiger Global, Bessemer, Sequoia Capital, March Capital and Salesforce Ventures. We're on a mission to bring trust to global digital commerce so that companies like Nordstrom, Priceline, Instacart and ASOS can block fraud, drive revenue and improve customer experience.
At Forter, we believe unique people create unique ideas, and valuable experience comes in many forms. So, even if your background doesn't match everything we have listed in the job description, we still encourage you to apply and tell us why your skills and values could be an asset to us. By welcoming different perspectives, we grow together as humans and as a company.
Forter is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that will consider all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email us at email@example.com. This information will be treated as confidential and used only for the purpose of determining an appropriate accommodation for the interview process.