Senior Software Engineer, Payments
About the role:
Our new Payments Initiative takes Forter’s battle-tested and market-leading Fraud detection capabilities and combines them with deep business insights and cutting-edge technology to bring a complete line of products to our enterprise customer base.
We are looking for a veteran developer who's passionate about their work and business-centric problem-solving to take on a central role in building out this new line of business at Forter.
Some things you should know about our team:
- It is still early days for our team, which means you’ll be an influential founding member of what is planned to be a multi-team group.
- You will build the next generation of Forter’s offering, leveraging its current technological advantages into a completely new and different field.
- We believe in making conscious technological choices, be they boring or bleeding-edge.
- We strive for full CI/CD and observability, owning our Production stack.
Our engineers are resourceful, creative, and independent. We take responsibility for the entire product lifecycle, from design to Production. We are highly adaptable, working with a diverse stack of technologies, and always aspiring to create the best value for our clients.
Why should you join us?
You’ll get to take part in building a new line of payments products that heavily impact and disrupt the payments space. You’ll get to work with smart, experienced engineers building multi-layered products while gaining deep understanding of the “behind-the-scenes” of the world’s web payments infrastructures.
What you'll be doing:
- Develop a brand new line of business, essentially a greenfield project
- Develop a set of new, unique products as part of Payments initiative while working closely with teammates and multiple other stakeholders at Forter
- Work with a variety of programming languages and platforms
- Brainstorm features with product managers and your peers and guide decisions based on your knowledge of the codebase and past experience
- Provide software solutions to complicated challenges we face on a daily basis
- Mentor and guide software engineers and help build a professional and effective team
- Take initiative - got a great idea that'll make our team's day-to-day better? Let's hear it!
Who are you?:
- At least 7 years of diverse experience writing and maintaining complex software systems
- Familiarity with browser, networking and security concepts
- At least 5 years of back-end development experience.
- Product, Production and Growth mindsets
- Enthusiasm for providing technical solutions that bring immediate impact
- Strong communication, collaboration and problem-solving skills
- A can-do approach and a positive attitude!
- Professional-level spoken and written English proficiency
Digital commerce is built on trust. At every point along the eCommerce journey, businesses must make a critical decision: Can I trust this customer? Answering this simple question accurately and instantly is powerful—it can accelerate revenue growth and strengthen a company’s connection with its customers. How do we do it? Forter was founded on the insight that it's not about what is being purchased, nor where— but who is behind the interaction.
The Forter Decision Engine finds patterns across more than one billion identities in our dataset. We isolate fraudsters and protect customers—ensuring everyone gets the experience they deserve. Given that trust is central to how we operate, Forter is very much driven by a defined set of values. We attract remarkable talent and have retention and engagement levels that are well above benchmarks. We’re meticulous about strengthening our culture as we grow and ensuring this is an environment where people can have outsized impact.
Trust is backed by data – Forter is a recipient of over 10 workplace and innovation awards, including:
- Great Place to Work Certification (2021, 2022, 2023)
- Fortune’s Best Workplaces in NYC (2022)
- #3 on Fast Company’s list of “Most Innovative Finance Companies” (2022)
- Forbes Cloud 100 (2021, 2022)
- SAP Pinnacle Awards “New Partner Application Award” (2023)
- Fintech Breakthrough Awards – Best Fraud Prevention Platform (2023)
Life as a Forterian:
We are a team of over 500 Forterians spread across 3 different continents. Since 2013, we've raised $525 million from investors such as Tiger Global, Bessemer, Sequoia Capital, March Capital and Salesforce Ventures. We're on a mission to bring trust to global digital commerce so that companies like Nordstrom, Priceline, Instacart and ASOS can block fraud, drive revenue and improve customer experience.
At Forter, we believe unique people create unique ideas, and valuable experience comes in many forms. So, even if your background doesn't match everything we have listed in the job description, we still encourage you to apply and tell us why your skills and values could be an asset to us. By welcoming different perspectives, we grow together as humans and as a company.
Forter is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that will consider all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email us at email@example.com. This information will be treated as confidential and used only for the purpose of determining an appropriate accommodation for the interview process.