Senior Software Engineer, Brain
About the role:
Forter is looking for a Senior Software Engineer with broad experience and a passion for building scalable and resilient systems. Reliability, latency, and security, along with being present where our customers need us, are critical to our success. Every single request we receive and process is crucial to us and our customers. We can’t go down because our customers’ businesses depend on us. We process e-commerce transactions worth over $250B a year and make billions of critical decisions.
We utilize highly sensitive information our customers trust us with, to catch fraudsters and abusers and let consumers operate without any friction. Our systems run on thousands of machines, on multiple regions and clouds, at a massive scale, to provide the best service to the Enterprise customers we serve.
One of your goals as a Senior Software Engineer in the brain team is to ensure our core decision systems provide the most accurate decision with short time constraints. You’ll be mentoring and working closely with smart, talented, and sharp software engineers, creating highly sophisticated, robust, fault-tolerant and low latency distributed systems.
What you'll be doing:
- Design, build and think over the core decision system at Forter.
- Self-managing projects planning, milestones, designs, and estimations.
- Holding yourself and others to a high standard when working with production systems. We take pride in our tests, monitoring & alerting abilities just as we do with our systems.
- Debugging complex problems across the whole stack, dealing both with high-throughput systems and low-latency systems.
- Working with colleagues from various disciplines - Research Engineers, Analysts, Quants and Data Scientists (all of whom write production code!)
What you'll need:
- Strong Python / Java / Kotlin / NodeJS / Go skills.
- 5+ years of proven experience in designing and building large-scale production systems.
- Experience (or good familiarity) with technologies such as Storm and Spark, and concepts such as Event Sourcing, DLQ and Circuit Breakers.
- Experience with various databases or data stores such as Elasticsearch, Redis, MySQL, Couchbase, MongoDB, Cassandra, DynamoDB, etc.
- Experience with AWS or other public clouds.
- Experience with docker or other container management platforms
Would be very cool if you have:
- Built distributed systems at large scale.
- Profiled and optimized code to the millisecond level.
- Built visualization tools (web interface or CLI) to monitor your systems.
Things we appreciate:
- A link to a blog post you wrote or an interesting talk you’ve given.
- Open source projects you’ve created or contributed to.
- Interesting, non-trivial problems you’ve dealt with.
- Side projects that you couldn’t resist building.
Digital commerce is built on trust. At every point along the eCommerce journey, businesses must make a critical decision: Can I trust this customer? Answering this simple question accurately and instantly is powerful—it can accelerate revenue growth and strengthen a company’s connection with its customers. How do we do it? Forter was founded on the insight that it's not about what is being purchased, nor where— but who is behind the interaction.
The Forter Decision Engine finds patterns across more than one billion identities in our dataset. We isolate fraudsters and protect customers—ensuring everyone gets the experience they deserve. Given that trust is central to how we operate, Forter is very much driven by a defined set of values. We attract remarkable talent and have retention and engagement levels that are well above benchmarks. We’re meticulous about strengthening our culture as we grow and ensuring this is an environment where people can have outsized impact.
Life as a Forterian:
We are a team of over 500 Forterians spread across 3 different continents. Our success so far in the marketplace has allowed us to achieve a total series F valuation of over $3 Billion, making us the most valuable privately-held fraud prevention company globally. Our investors include Tiger Global, Bessemer, Sequoia Capital, March Capital, and Salesforce Ventures.
At Forter, we believe unique people create unique ideas, and valuable experience comes in many forms. So, even if your background doesn't match everything we have listed in the job description, we still encourage you to apply and tell us why your skills and values could be an asset to us. By welcoming different perspectives, we grow together as humans and as a company.
Forter is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that will consider all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.