Director, Field Engineering - Service Provider Americas
Who we are
Kentik is the network observability company. Our platform is a must-have for the network front line, whether digital business, corporate IT, or service provider. Network professionals turn to the Kentik Network Observability Cloud to plan, run, and fix any network, relying on our infinite granularity, AI-driven insights, and insanely fast search.
Kentik makes sense of network, cloud, host, and container flow, Internet routing, performance tests, and network metrics. We show network pros what they need to know about their network performance, health, and security to make their business-critical services shine. Networks power the world’s most valuable companies, and those companies trust Kentik. Market leaders like IBM, Box, and Zoom rely on Kentik for network observability. Visit us at kentik.com and follow us at @kentikinc.
What we do
Kentik is looking for a highly motivated Field Engineering leader for the Service Provider Americas region to support our rapidly growing customer base and to help bring the Kentik solution to market. This is an excellent opportunity to lead one of Kentik’s most important technical teams consisting of both pre and post sales engineers. This candidate will work with some of the best and brightest engineers in the industry, and develop their skills within one of the most innovative companies in the networking space. Field Engineers at Kentik have the opportunity to help shape our product strategy and enable a broad set of use cases by working directly with our prospect and existing customers.
If you have a proven track record of leading high performing engineering teams in a fast-growth revenue-driven organization, this is a great opportunity and we want to talk to you. The ideal candidate not only has a strong technical background with a focus in the service provider market space, but also has a proven ability to execute and help drive both technical and commercial go to market strategies in a fast-paced results-oriented environment.
What you'll do
- Lead a team of North American based Field Engineers, reporting directly to the VP, Global Field Engineering
- Attract, coach, mentor and retain a highly technical and driven team made up of both pre and post sales engineers in a revenue team environment
- Partner with go to market team leadership to develop and execute business plans for key prospect and existing customer accounts
- Responsible for managing and executing all technical aspects of the customer journey including initial product demonstration, proof of value evaluations, customer on-boarding, customer training, and new feature requests
- Develop trusted advisor relationships with both technical and commercial champions within Kentik prospect and existing customers
- Work cross functionally with sales, marketing, product, engineering, customer success, and leadership teams to drive and deliver results
- Attend in-person customer meetings, conferences, and trade shows
What you'll bring
Studies have shown that some candidates tend to apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. We encourage you to apply if you meet most of the criteria - even if you don’t match all of the qualifications, your skills and experience could be valuable in this role!
- 7+ years of relevant technical / commercial experience
- 3+ years in a people leadership role
- Strong verbal, written, and presentation communication skills
- Must be able to clearly, concisely, and effectively articulate both commercial and complex technical topics and ideas with prospect and existing customers ranging from staff-level engineers to senior executives
- Strong demonstrable understanding of network and application protocols (e.g. Netflow, BGP, SNMP, DNS, HTTP, TCP/IP, etc.) and their use for infrastructure design and operations
- Comprehensive knowledge and awareness of industry competition, solutions, technologies, and product offerings
- Ability to travel as needed to interact with internal and external business and technical champions and leaders
- Technical curiosity; the drive to constantly ask “how” or “why” and the relentless pursuit of new knowledge, best practices, and ways to iterate or improve
Nice to haves:
- Experience working in a SaaS environment
- Experience working in a pre-IPO startup environment
- BS/BA in a relevant field
- Direct experience operating or managing a production service provider or carrier grade network with scale
- Direct experience with one or more network observability suites (e.g. Kentik, Arbor/Netscout, SolarWinds, ManageEngine, Splunk, Nagios, Dynatrace, Catchpoint, etc.)
- Experience with vendor management, negotiation, and/or procurement processes from the buying or selling perspective (or both)
- Experience working in an organization with a strong channel/partner sales motion
What we offer
Kentik is a fully remote company that operates globally. We seek professionals that will help us thrive as an organization, and in turn, to broaden and enhance your career. We’re very thorough in the interview process to understand your skills and how they will relate to your successful growth here at Kentik. Our compensation philosophy encompasses a fair program for all in order to attract, engage and retain talented individuals who will drive our business and wow our customers.
The base salary range for this position is: $147,000 - $210,000, with an expected overall targeted earnings (OTE) range of: $210,000 - $273,000. The salary range and OTE reflect the low and high end of the U.S. range Kentik reasonably and generally expects to pay the hired candidate in this role. The actual compensation offered may be lower or higher than the stated range depending on various factors, including but not limited to:
- Experience with the skill sets required for success
- Demonstrated competencies and potential
- A geographic market-based approach
In addition to a great career opportunity, Kentik offers stellar benefits for our employees, which include:
- 100% of premiums are paid by company for health, vision and dental coverage for you and your dependents
- Additionally, an annual Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) of $3,000 for an individual or $4,500 for a family
- Paid family & medical leave
- Open PTO, a quarterly Wellness Day, and a minimum of 10 paid holidays
- 401(k) retirement account
- Home office reimbursement
- Stock options
Note: Benefits are as listed for all US full-time employees. For compensation, international applicants will be treated equitably in relation to the laws applicable within the countries in which we operate.
Come work with us
The true meaning of Kentik is visibility. We’re committed to making sure everyone feels empowered to use their voice, has a sense of belonging, and is represented at Kentik.
We don’t look for individuals who fit the culture, but those who will continue to add to the culture.
We encourage everyone to apply, especially those individuals who are underrepresented in the industry: people of color, LGBTQI+ community, women, individuals with disabilities (both seen and unseen), veterans, and people of any age or family status.
Come as you are!
You will be working at a fast-growing, well-funded startup alongside industry thought leaders and network aficionados as we build the future of observability and set the high bar for how network operations and digital businesses should run. With a competitive salary and amazing benefits on top of the meaningful and challenging projects you’ll take on, we’re sure you’ll enjoy joining the Kentik team.