Cryogenic Mechanical Engineer
We are on a mission to build the world’s first large-scale, commercially viable, 1 million-plus qubit quantum computer, powered by breakthroughs in silicon photonics and quantum architecture. We were founded in 2016 by the world’s foremost experts in photonic quantum computing and have assembled a world class team dedicated to bringing the world-changing benefits of quantum computing into reality.
Quantum computing is anticipated to unlock the solution to otherwise impossible computational tasks, with potential impact across all of science and technology. By harnessing the laws of quantum physics, quantum computers are expected to dramatically outperform even the most powerful supercomputers, enabling extraordinary advances across a broad range of applications including climate, energy, healthcare, finance, agriculture, transportation, materials design, and more.
In many areas of scientific and technical inquiry, humanity has reached the limit of what even the most powerful existing (or future) supercomputers can do--but quantum computers are poised to crack problems that are simply out of humanity’s reach with traditional computers. With applications across climate, healthcare, energy, finance, agriculture, transportation, materials design and more, quantum computing will tackle some of the most urgent practical challenges we face, as well as deliver entirely new industries.
PsiQuantum is uniquely positioned to deliver on the promise of quantum computing. We have already demonstrated that it’s possible to manufacture core quantum components using the standard and scalable manufacturing processes of a world-leading semiconductor fab.
There’s more work to be done and we are looking for exceptional talent to join us on this extraordinary journey!
The Cryogenic Mechanical Engineer focuses primarily on the cryogenic application of thermodynamics, heat transfer, fluid mechanics, and structural mechanics for the development of cryostats, valve boxes and related technologies.
- The Cryogenic Mechanical Engineer focuses primarily on the cryogenic application of thermodynamics, heat transfer, fluid mechanics, and structural mechanics for the development of cryostats, valve boxes and related technologies.
- General design activities such as requirements management, materials and component selection, Design Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), and tolerance analyses.
- Detailed design, analysis, and testing of system components such as LHe vessels, heat exchanger, piping, tubing, vacuum systems, and cryoplant systems.
- Develop systems and thermal models to describe all heat paths and create new designs to meet the allowable heat load requirements.
- Developing and executing design verification activities, including analysis, similarity, and testing.
- Developing new processes, methods, and ways of working.
- Thoroughly documenting design inputs and outputs.
- Assisting and/or directing vendors to create prototypes.
- Reviewing and ensuring the adequacy of vendor qualification activities.
- Analyzing field issues related to cryogenic design and providing solutions where required.
- Actively participating in multidisciplinary project teams through all phases of product development to ensure successful execution of innovative and best-in-class designs.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- B.Sc., M.Sc., or Ph.D in Mechanical Engineering or Physics.
- 5-10+ years of experience applying engineering principles to solve complex problems related to thermal/fluid systems and/or cryogenics.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated use of advanced analysis tools to solve complex problems at the appropriate level of detail – Finite Element Analysis (FEA), Finite Difference, and/or Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD).
- Ability to provide technical leadership in ambiguous situations
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Software tools – Mathcad, SINDA/FLUINT, Thermal Desktop, SINAPS, ANSYS APDL, ANSYS Workbench, Solidworks, SpaceClaim, LabView, Matlab.
- Programming – Fortran, Microsoft VBA, Python.
- Experience working with cryogenic systems, cryostats, cryocoolers and cryoplant.
- Experience working with ASME Boiler Pressure Vessel Code and PED Pressure Vessel Code.
- Experience with heat exchanger design.
- Experience with multiple material performance, design constraints and manufacture constraints under cryogenics.
- Hands performances on experience with fabrication methods such as machining, welding, brazing, soldering, forming, etc.
- Hands-on experience performing lab testing and data acquisition.
- Solid understanding of Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing per ASME Y14.5.
PsiQuantum provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. PsiQuantum does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable laws.
We are not accepting unsolicited resumes from employment agencies.