Senior Epitaxial Engineer
PsiQuantum is on a mission to build the world’s first utility-scale, 1 million-plus qubit quantum computer, powered by breakthroughs in silicon photonics and quantum architecture. We were founded in 2015 by the world’s foremost experts in photonic quantum computing and have assembled a world class team dedicated to bringing the world-changing benefits of quantum computing into reality.
Quantum computing is anticipated to unlock the solutions to otherwise impossible computational tasks, with impact across science, technology, and business. By harnessing the laws of quantum physics, quantum computers are expected to dramatically outperform even the most powerful existing (or future) supercomputers and offer the potential to enable extraordinary advances across a broad range of applications including climate, energy, healthcare, finance, agriculture, transportation, materials design, and more, as well as deliver entirely new industries.
PsiQuantum is uniquely positioned to deliver on the promise of quantum computing. We have already demonstrated that it’s possible to manufacture core quantum components using the standard and scalable manufacturing processes of a world-leading semiconductor fab.
Our team is working across the full stack of quantum computing, from hardware design, manufacturing, and packaging through to quantum architecture and quantum algorithms. We’re a highly integrated, collaborative group and love tackling problems than span across interfaces.
There’s more work to be done and we are looking for exceptional talent to join us on this extraordinary journey!
- PhD in condensed matter physics, materials science, or related discipline.
- ≥ 5 years working on epitaxial oxide thin film deposition via MBE (including academic experience).
- Experience with a variety of thin film metrology and characterization techniques.
- Proven experience executing collaborative and complex projects.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Oxide MBE thin film growth and process development.
- Reflection high-energy electron diffraction (RHEED) experience, including quantitative analysis and RHEED-driven growth processes.
- Thin film metrology, including familiarity with several of the following techniques: X-ray diffraction, X-ray reflectivity, atomic force microscopy, ellipsometry, Rutherford backscattering spectroscopy, X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy, electron microscopy (SEM/TEM), etc.
- Thin film engineering and process development, including familiarity with several of the following techniques: annealing, wafer bonding, etching, strain engineering, etc.
- Familiarity with analytical programming and data analysis (Python, JMP, MATLAB, Mathematica, etc.).
- Proven expertise in experimental automation.
- Detail-oriented with excellent time management.
- Proven team player with an ability to work effectively across departments, sites, and time zones.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with an ability to communicate effectively to a variety of audiences.
- Strong critical thinking, creative, innovative, and analytical problem-solving skills.
- Proven track record of impactful results.
- Self-motivated and resourceful.
- Ability to plan projects and deliver on project goals and milestones in a timely fashion.
Highly Desirable Skills:
- Experience with 300 mm semiconductor processes, including process development techniques and methodologies.
- Experience with 300 mm semiconductor metrology, including SP2/SP3, defect-review SEM, VPD-ICPMS, wafer bow, etc.
- Experience with chemical beam epitaxy, chemical vapor deposition, and/or atomic layer deposition.
- Experience with and strong knowledge of thin film ferroelectric materials.
PsiQuantum provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. PsiQuantum does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable laws.
We are not accepting unsolicited resumes from employment agencies.
The range below reflects the minimum and maximum target range for new hire base salary across all US locations. Actual compensation may vary outside of this range and is dependent on various factors including but not limited to a candidate's qualifications including relevant education and training, competencies, experience, geographic location, and business needs. Base pay is only one part of the total compensation package. Full time roles are eligible for equity and benefits. Base pay is subject to change and may be modified in the future.