PsiQuantum is on a mission to build the world’s first utility-scale, 1 million-plus qubit quantum computer, powered by breakthroughs in silicon photonics and quantum architecture. We were founded in 2015 by the world’s foremost experts in photonic quantum computing and have assembled a world class team dedicated to bringing the world-changing benefits of quantum computing into reality.
Quantum computing is anticipated to unlock the solutions to otherwise impossible computational tasks, with impact across science, technology, and business. By harnessing the laws of quantum physics, quantum computers are expected to dramatically outperform even the most powerful existing (or future) supercomputers and offer the potential to enable extraordinary advances across a broad range of applications including climate, energy, healthcare, finance, agriculture, transportation, materials design, and more, as well as deliver entirely new industries.
PsiQuantum is uniquely positioned to deliver on the promise of quantum computing. We have already demonstrated that it’s possible to manufacture core quantum components using the standard and scalable manufacturing processes of a world-leading semiconductor fab.
Our team is working across the full stack of quantum computing, from hardware design, manufacturing, and packaging through to quantum architecture and quantum algorithms. We’re a highly integrated, collaborative group and love tackling problems that span across interfaces.
There’s more work to be done and we are looking for exceptional talent to join us on this extraordinary journey!
The PsiQuantum Fab Engineering team will jointly develop a switch technology platform working with our development partners. The development efforts will include the development of new materials and the process which meet the requirements of PsiQ’s product development plans for a commercially available quantum computer.
The teams’ primary responsibilities are the enablement of a new technology or modules in PsiQ’s Fab. The team will support in defining process assumptions, process tolerances, wafer acceptance criteria, patterning solutions, tool selection, process development for new structures and materials. Additionally, the team will develop the technology primary in Molecular-Beam Epitaxy (MBE) and analyze in-line data and generate appropriate engineering line controls.
The Epitaxy Engineers will work within PsiQ Fab to develop epitaxial deposition processes of oxide thin films at 300 mm wafer scale. They will be required to work as part of a small team focused on rapid process development and testing. The Epitaxy Engineers will work closely with other team members to design and execute experiments, drive innovations in epitaxial oxide deposition, analyze and review metrology data, consistently working to reduce cycle time, and improve deposition hardware in collaboration with tool vendors.
- Develop and execute epitaxial oxide thin film deposition processes via MBE.
- Plan and design deposition experiments aimed at improving film quality and performance.
- Deliver 300 mm oxide thin films that meet or exceed pre-determined specifications to customers.
- Regularly monitor particle and trace metal contamination within deposition system and proactively address tool cleanliness issues.
- Analyze and review metrology data with thin film characterization engineers.
- Incorporate feedback from metrology to continually improve film quality with respect to specific performance metrics.
- Work with thin film characterization engineers to continually update, improve and refine metrology protocols.
- Collaborate closely on materials modeling efforts to make data-driven decisions and predictions for process development and improvement.
- Work closely with all stakeholders to continually reduce learning cycle time.
- Work closely with equipment engineers to perform maintenance tasks during service events.
- Provide input to equipment engineers to refine maintenance schedules with the goal of reducing tool downtime.
- Collaborate with tool manufacturers to improve deposition hardware.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- PhD degree in condensed matter physics, materials science, or related discipline.
- ≥ 5 years working on epitaxial oxide thin film deposition via MBE (including academic experience).
- Experience with a variety of thin film metrology and characterization techniques.
- Proven experience executing collaborative and complex projects
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Oxide MBE thin film growth and process development.
- Reflection high-energy electron diffraction (RHEED) experience, including quantitative analysis and RHEED-driven growth processes.
- Thin film metrology, including familiarity with several of the following techniques: X-ray diffraction, X-ray reflectivity, atomic force microscopy, ellipsometry, Rutherford backscattering spectroscopy, X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy, electron microscopy (SEM/TEM), etc.
- Thin film engineering and process development, including familiarity with several of the following techniques: annealing, wafer bonding, etching, strain engineering, etc.
- Familiarity with analytical programming and data analysis (Python, JMP, MATLAB, Mathematica, etc.)
- Proven expertise in experimental automation.
- Detail-oriented with excellent time management.
- Proven team player with an ability to work effectively across departments, sites, and time zones.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with an ability to communicate effectively to a variety of audiences.
- Strong critical thinking, creative, innovative, and analytical problem-solving skills.
- Proven track record of impactful results.
- Self-motivated and resourceful.
- Ability to plan projects and deliver on project goals and milestones in a timely fashion.
- Experience with 300 mm semiconductor processes, including process development techniques and methodologies is a plus.
- Experience with 300 mm semiconductor metrology, including SP2/SP3, defect-review SEM, VPD-ICPMS, wafer bow, etc.
- Experience with and strong knowledge of thin film ferroelectric materials
PsiQuantum provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. PsiQuantum does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable laws.
We are not accepting unsolicited resumes from employment agencies.