Digital System Designer
PsiQuantum is on a mission to build the world’s first utility-scale, 1 million-plus qubit quantum computer, powered by breakthroughs in silicon photonics and quantum architecture. We were founded in 2015 by the world’s foremost experts in photonic quantum computing and have assembled a world class team dedicated to bringing the world-changing benefits of quantum computing into reality.
Quantum computing is anticipated to unlock the solutions to otherwise impossible computational tasks, with impact across science, technology, and business. By harnessing the laws of quantum physics, quantum computers are expected to dramatically outperform even the most powerful existing (or future) supercomputers and offer the potential to enable extraordinary advances across a broad range of applications including climate, energy, healthcare, finance, agriculture, transportation, materials design, and more, as well as deliver entirely new industries.
PsiQuantum is uniquely positioned to deliver on the promise of quantum computing. We have already demonstrated that it’s possible to manufacture core quantum components using the standard and scalable manufacturing processes of a world-leading semiconductor fab.
Our team is working across the full stack of quantum computing, from hardware design, manufacturing, and packaging through to quantum architecture and quantum algorithms. We’re a highly integrated, collaborative group and love tackling problems that span across interfaces.
There’s more work to be done and we are looking for exceptional talent to join us on this extraordinary journey!
We are seeking a research engineer, physicist, or system architect to develop our optical networking systems architecture for our quantum computer. You will collaborate with subject matter experts to create a unified fiber systems model predicting quantum performance. You will be responsible for setting fiber requirements for our fusion-based quantum computer and making optimal trade-offs with other requirements within the broader System Architecture team. Your role includes identifying gaps, risks, and designing economical experiments to improve predictive power and iterate requirements. You will manage multidisciplinary models, understand yield and production variability, and minimize risk and cost in our quantum computer design. With a strong grasp of real-world data limitations, you will drive data-informed decisions by engaging with experiments, working with engineering teams, and validating system models following model-based-system-engineering principles.
- Lead fiber network design and set requirements.
- Conduct white-paper studies and model state-of-the-art fiber/control loops.
- Define validation objectives and documentation with systems design teams.
- Analyze experimental data and ensure proper interpretation.
- Establish abstraction levels for economical data-driven fiber model validation.
- Debug systems during commissioning and validate system models.
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Telecommunications, or similar.
- Over 5 years of experience with optical fiber networks (active control opt.).
- Expertise in Quantum Optical Networks (optional).
- Cross-functional test design, modeling, and debugging experience.
- Deep technical knowledge in optical fiber networking.
- Familiarity with Systems Engineering, Python, Optics, Quantum Optics (optional), and Cryogenics (optional).
- Strong team player, adaptable, and excellent communication skills.
- Passion for PsiQuantum's mission and values in a start-up environment.
PsiQuantum provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. PsiQuantum does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable laws.
We are not accepting unsolicited resumes from employment agencies.
The range below reflects the minimum and maximum target range for new hire base salary across all US locations. Actual compensation may vary outside of this range and is dependent on various factors including but not limited to a candidate's qualifications including relevant education and training, competencies, experience, geographic location, and business needs. Base pay is only one part of the total compensation package. Full time roles are eligible for equity and benefits. Base pay is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
For a fully qualified candidate, the expected pay range is: