Staff 3D Heterogeneous Integration Engineer
PsiQuantum is on a mission to build the world’s first utility-scale, 1 million-plus qubit quantum computer, powered by breakthroughs in silicon photonics and quantum architecture. We were founded in 2015 by the world’s foremost experts in photonic quantum computing and have assembled a world class team dedicated to bringing the world-changing benefits of quantum computing into reality.
Quantum computing is anticipated to unlock the solutions to otherwise impossible computational tasks, with impact across science, technology, and business. By harnessing the laws of quantum physics, quantum computers are expected to dramatically outperform even the most powerful existing (or future) supercomputers and offer the potential to enable extraordinary advances across a broad range of applications including climate, energy, healthcare, finance, agriculture, transportation, materials design, and more, as well as deliver entirely new industries.
PsiQuantum is uniquely positioned to deliver on the promise of quantum computing. We have already demonstrated that it’s possible to manufacture core quantum components using the standard and scalable manufacturing processes of a world-leading semiconductor fab.
Our team is working across the full stack of quantum computing, from hardware design, manufacturing, and packaging through to quantum architecture and quantum algorithms. We’re a highly integrated, collaborative group and love tackling problems that span across interfaces.
There’s more work to be done and we are looking for exceptional talent to join us on this extraordinary journey!
The PsiQuantum Foundry Engineering team will jointly develop a silicon photonics (SiPh) technology platform working with our development partners. The development efforts will include the addition of new materials and process modules which meet the requirements of PsiQ’s product development plans for a commercially available quantum computer. Unique materials and process modules include a superconducting single photon detector, ultra-low loss waveguides, light scattering mitigation structures (“dark box”) and a non-linear epitaxial metal oxide switch.
The teams’ primary responsibilities are the enablement of a new technology or modules and to provide engineering support working with the foundry. The team will support in defining design rules, design manual, process assumptions, computational lithography, process tolerances, wafer acceptance criteria, patterning solutions, tool selection, process development for new structures and materials. Additionally, the team will analyze inline data and generate appropriate engineering line controls.
The 3D Heterogenous Integration Engineer will support the development of a new silicon photonic product in a Foundry environment. The 3D Heterogenous Integration Engineer will drive collaboration to develop the metal oxide switch unit processes needed to deliver a photonic component that meets our technology requirements. These processes will include bonding and thinning, lithography, etch, dielectric and metal deposition, wet cleans and others.
- Lead the process development of a high-quality photonic non-linear electro-optic switch component in our SiPh platform.
- Provide technical leadership on processing of bonding and thinning including wafer-to-wafer, chip-to-wafer and chip-to-chip bonding expertise.
- Critically assess the interactions between design layout, technology design-rules and processes.
- Drive process improvements to meet component performance requirements.
- Development of SiPh platform focused on yield improvement by reducing defectivity and improving process stability (Cp/Cpk).
- Ability to drive joint development projects and manage vendor relationships.
- Experience with inline metrology, electrical characterization, defect inspection and reduction.
- An advanced degree in Electrical Engineering or Material Science Engineering or related fields is preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in semiconductor process integration in research and/or development setting.
- Experience in process integration of a new module through 3D heterogenous integration.
- Advanced packaging and process integration.
- Proven experience executing cross-department complex projects.
- Experience working with leading edge technologies.
- Experience in vendor relationship management.
- Experience with test structures for yield limiter determination and improvement.
- Prior experience in new product technology development, implementation and transfer to a HVM.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Domain knowledge: integration knowledge; strong metrology knowledge; semiconductor manufacturing knowledge; expertise in fusion bonding; and advanced packaging.
- Data analysis skills (Ex: JMP) and build yield correlations.
- Structured risk management and problem-solving skills (FMEA, 8D, 5-why).
- Understanding and knowledge of Statistical Process Control (SPC) and/or Design of Experiments (DOE).
- Proven team player with an ability to work effectively across departments, sites, time zones.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with an ability to communicate effectively to a variety of audiences.
- Strong critical thinking, creative, innovative, analytical, and detail oriented problem-solving skills.
- Proven track record of impactful results.
- Self-motivated and resourceful.
- Ability to work independently with limited direction.
- Demonstrated ability to juggle multiple priorities and deliver against a schedule.
- Demonstrated interest in quantum computing.
- Ability to contribute in fast-moving start-up environment.
PsiQuantum provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. PsiQuantum does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable laws.
We are not accepting unsolicited resumes from employment agencies.
The range below reflects the minimum and maximum target range for new hire base salary across all US locations. Actual compensation may vary outside of this range and is dependent on various factors including but not limited to a candidate's qualifications including relevant education and training, competencies, experience, geographic location, and business needs. Base pay is only one part of the total compensation package. Full time roles are eligible for equity and benefits. Base pay is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
For a fully qualified candidate, the expected pay range is: