Quantum Applications Architect
PsiQuantum is on a mission to build the world’s first utility-scale, 1 million-plus qubit quantum computer, powered by breakthroughs in silicon photonics and quantum architecture. We were founded in 2015 by the world’s foremost experts in photonic quantum computing and have assembled a world class team dedicated to bringing the world-changing benefits of quantum computing into reality.
Quantum computing is anticipated to unlock the solutions to otherwise impossible computational tasks, with impact across science, technology, and business. By harnessing the laws of quantum physics, quantum computers are expected to dramatically outperform even the most powerful existing (or future) supercomputers and offer the potential to enable extraordinary advances across a broad range of applications including climate, energy, healthcare, finance, agriculture, transportation, materials design, and more, as well as deliver entirely new industries.
PsiQuantum is uniquely positioned to deliver on the promise of quantum computing. We have already demonstrated that it’s possible to manufacture core quantum components using the standard and scalable manufacturing processes of a world-leading semiconductor fab.
Our team is working across the full stack of quantum computing, from hardware design, manufacturing, and packaging through to quantum architecture and quantum algorithms. We’re a highly integrated, collaborative group and love tackling problems that span across interfaces.
There’s more work to be done and we are looking for exceptional talent to join us on this extraordinary journey!
Quantum applications architects drive research and development of quantum algorithms and lead partnered collaborations on the application of quantum algorithms to real-world computational problems. The applications team is fully focused on algorithms in the fault tolerant regime and is very tightly integrated with quantum architecture development. The scope of the quantum applications team includes development of new quantum algorithms and methods, scoping of use-cases, simulation and analysis of resource requirements, optimization of compiling methods and development of methods for universal fault tolerant logic.
This role is specifically focused on the compilation of quantum algorithms, both in theory and in software. The architect will translate abstract or high-level descriptions of quantum algorithms into explicit constructions, contribute to the instantiation of those constructions in code, analyze their performance using resource estimation and simulation tools, and ultimately optimize the efficiency with which we can run useful quantum algorithms on fault-tolerant hardware.
- Research and development of compilation techniques for quantum algorithms tailored for fault-tolerant quantum computers.
- Contribute to the design and development of quantum compilation and simulation tools and/or software.
- Work closely with external partners to instantiate, validate and optimize quantum algorithms for use cases across a variety of domains, such as life sciences or sustainability.
- Simulation and analysis of resource requirements for fault tolerant implementation of quantum algorithms in photonic quantum computing.
- Collaborate with quantum architecture group to co-optimize algorithm methods with architectural design.
- Degree in Physics, Math or Computer Science or equivalent required. PhD in Physics, Math or Computer Science, with a focus on quantum information theory or quantum computation preferred.
- 3+ years of relevant academic or industry research experience in quantum circuit compilation, quantum algorithms or deployment of quantum computing-related software.
- Experience with quantum algorithms and compiling in the regime of fault tolerant gates preferred.
- Experience working with partners in academia or industry to analyze real-world quantum applications of interest preferred.
- Proven team player with an ability to work effectively across departments, sites and time zones.
- Ability to work independently and contribute to fast-moving start-up environment.
- Experience programming in Python, C++ or similar languages.
PsiQuantum provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. PsiQuantum does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable laws.
We are not accepting unsolicited resumes from employment agencies.
The range below reflects the minimum and maximum target range for new hire base salary across all US locations. Actual compensation may vary outside of this range and is dependent on various factors including but not limited to a candidate's qualifications including relevant education and training, competencies, experience, geographic location, and business needs. Base pay is only one part of the total compensation package. Full time roles are eligible for equity and benefits. Base pay is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
For a fully qualified candidate, the expected pay range is: